Lubes are generally categorised by their ingredients. Here are the pros and cons of each type:
- Silicone-based lubes last longest and feel the best against the skin. They’re nice and silky without any tacky residue. Silicone-based lubes are great for anal sex and are safe to use with latex condoms. They can also be used in water, like in the shower. The downside of being so long-lasting is that soap and water will be required to fully remove silicone-based lubes from your skin and your sheets. You should avoid using silicone lubes with silicone sex toys, as the lube can degrade the silicone in the toy. Recommended: System JO Anal Premium Personal Lubricant – www.systemjoaustralia.com.au/product/jo-anal-premium-lubricant/.
- Water-based lubes feel a little thinner and slipperier. They are extremely easy to clean up – no residue left on fabric. Water-based lubes are compatible with silicone sex toys and with latex condoms. They wash away too easily to be used in the tub or shower, and they’re also not great for anal sex. Water-based lubes don’t last as long as silicone lubes, and they can feel a bit sticky, so they may require multiple applications . Recommend: System JO H20 Water Based Lubricant.
- Oil-based lubes include things like coconut oil and olive oil. They can be a nice option for people who are extremely sensitive to chemicals, but they should be thoroughly washed to avoid risk of infection. Oils should also never be used with latex condoms. They also leave hard to get rid of stains on fabric. Here are some alternatives for those with sensitivities:
- System JO ‘Agape’ is specially formulated for women and was created to be the perfect sensual solution for women with sensitivities. This moisturising lubricant offers all the benefits of a water-based lubricant in an extra gentle formula. Its pH balance is perfect for women to use alone or with a partner.
- System JO Hybrid Lubricant is an easy to use product. Designed to be simple – no sensations, no bells and whistles. It offers the best of both worlds, the silky smooth texture and long lasting glide of Premium blended with the easy clean-up and gentle touch of H2O. Enhance your sensuality with the best of both worlds.
- Natural lubes like System JO Organic Lubricant is made with 100% natural ingredients sourced from certified organic farms. This water-based lubricant is glycerine free, paraben free and contains no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. No messy sheets either!
- Novelty lubes can include flavoured lubes, warming lubes, so-called “arousal” lubes and desensitising lubes. System JO has a range of delicious water based flavoured lubes packaged for a range of tastes – no guilt as they are sugar free!
This information should give you a good sense of the type of lube that is most compatible with your sex life. It’s usually best to make your selections based on what activities are part of your sexual repertoire.
Avoid Irritating Ingredients
In some people, lube can trigger adverse reactions like infections and skin irritations in some people. Many people are concerned with the effects of common lube ingredients such as paraben and glycols, so you may want to do some research on your own before making your purchase. In general, it is best to exercise more caution with lube than you would with other personal care products since you’re using it on the most sensitive part of your body. Avoid any product with perfume, mint, menthol, petroleum, glycerine and cinnamon. Fortunately, most high-quality lubes are made without these ingredients.
Make an Investment
You get what you pay for when it comes to lube. Sure, you can buy super cheap lubes from your local chemist or supermarket, but it’s worth spending a few extra dollars to avoid the sticky mess that is known as KY-Jelly. A little lube goes a long way, so a product that seems expensive initially shouldn’t actually cost that much per use.
Keep Your Options Open
There’s no need to limit yourself to just one lube either! You might like to have a thicker lube for anal sex, but prefer a thinner one for masturbation. You could keep a bottle of silicone-based lube in your shower, and a sampler pack in your bedside table. System Jo most popular lube is H20 water based lube, which is specially formulated for use with sex toys. It’s great to have different options for different activities!